Minutes of ASHS Alumni Meeting, September 22, 2018
Meeting was called to order by President Melinda Strong.
Minutes of previous meeting and financial records are posted on Alumni website for all to read.
New Business business for group to consider.
1. Barbara Smith made a motion that the date of the homecoming be moved back to January and celebrated in conjunction with the
Basketball homecoming activities. Anzo Richardson seconded the motion. After discussion, vote was taken and motion carried.
Request was made to try again to get the school to commit to setting a definite date for homecoming and to schedule some type of
activity on Saturday for attendees. Joan will contact school and make request.
2. Slate of officers was presented for consideration of group.
Melinda & Wayne Strong, President
Joan Ragland, Secretary/Treasurer
Members of Board: Marie Protho, Misty McMullen, Julie Brown, Kim Bentley, Kay Tullos
Additions to Board: Renea Turner, Beckie Thorne, Ruth Brewster, Sharon Delgado
After discussion all positions approved.
3. Mr. Pyle suggested starting an Apple Springs "Hall of Fame" to recognize alumni that have gone on to accomplish greatness. He also
suggested having an alumni keynote speaker next year. Maybe someone from one of the classes being honored. Board committed to
making this happen next year.
4. It was noted that as a group we need to recognize those alumni that are no longer with us: Peggy White, Thomas W.Dubose,
James Madden and others. Suggestion was made to add contact information on the website requesting information about deceased
alumni and to include a section on the invitation that would allow names of deceased to be collected for recognition.
5. It was also suggested that emails be requested from alumni so electronic communication would be possible.
6. Joan Ragland presented an update on the Memorial Brick Garden. A provider of bricks has been located. Cost for a memorial brick
will be $40. An order form will be provided online and will be made available at AS ballgames and in the AS office. (with school approval)
7.Members of the Honored Classes were recognized ---1949, 1959, 1969, 1979, 1989, 1999 and 2009. As each class and decade were recognized,
Beckie Thorne took of the group and pictures will be shared via alumni webpage on ASHS website.
8. No other new business, President Melinda Strong adjourned the meeting.
Colleen Moore delivered the blessing before the meal.
After the meal drawings were held for raffle items:
Greg Campbell was the winner of the quilt,
Na won the picnic table,
Patsy White won the $250 Credit Card