Minutes of 2018 Business Meeting
September 23, 2017
September 23, 2017
Meeting was called to order by President Melinda Strong.
Minutes of previous meeting and financial report were posted on Alumni webpage and in hallway as one entered meeting. Approved as presented.
Members of the Honored Classes were recognized--1948, 1958. 1968, 1978, 1988, 1998, 2008, and upcoming graduates of 2018.
Group sany Happy Birthday to member of the class of 2018, who celebrated her birthday by joining the alumni for lunch.
Classes of the Decades were recognized. Pictures of groups and individuals were posted to the Apple Spring Alumni Association Facebook page and are liked to the homepage of the alumni webpage for all to enjoy.
1. Melinda reported that this year homecoming festivities have been expanded to include the following:
> Parade and bonfire on Friday night
> Alumni BBQ luncheon at noon on Saturday
> INDOOR TAILGATE party in the cafeteria with loaded baked potatoes and finger foods from 3-5.
> Coronation of Homecoming Queen at football field
> Homecoming football game
She expressed thanks to the Apple Springs administration and faculty for working closely with the association to make this year's Homecoming a success.
2. O'Merle McMullen made a motion that the group actively pursue moving the memorial bricks to a more visible and accessible location on school premises and come up with a plan to complete the project. Motion was seconded. After discussion that in the process of moving bricks, some might be damaged, and there would be a cost involved, the motion was amended to include that the board of directors be given permission to use appropriate funds for the completion of the project.
3. Alumni associated awarded three $500 scholarships last year, in addition to the 3 scholarships that are funded by endowments. This year's goal is to meet or beat total awarded last year.
4. Raffle tickets will go on sale the end of October. All items will be given away during the Basketball Homecoming in January.
5. Alumni association will be staffing a FOOTLONG Hotdog booth at the Apple Springs Fall Festival. All proceeds will go into the Scholarship fund.
6. Association is still seeking the addition of yearbooks from bygone years to add to it's collection. Please contact Joan Ragland at email@example.com if you would like to donate a yearbook or yearbooks.
7. Joan Ragland will submit request to school to set up FOURTH SATURDAY IN SEPTEMBER as PERMANENT FOOTBALL HOMECOMING DATE.
8. After meal, guided tours will be provided for those that would like to visit classrooms and gym.
No other new business, meeting was adjourned.
Blessing was delivered before the meal.
November 3, 2017 J.C. Garner & Majorie Delaine McClain Scholarship established and funded.